The Council has set aside $5.5 million to fund the Oxley Creek Transformation Project which will see the 150-hectare Archerfield Wetlands converted into a recreational, educational, and environmental parkland.
The Archerfield Wetlands Parkland is a priority project under the Oxley Creek Transformation Master Plan. Archerfield Wetlands, located between the Ipswich Motorway in Oxley and Bowhill Road in Durack, was once a wastewater treatment and waste disposal site.
In line with the Oxley Creek Transformation Project, the Archerfield Wetlands draft Precinct Plan has been released and the community is invited to have their say about the project by:
- completing a short online survey between Monday, 17 June 2019 and Monday, 15 July 2019
- attending one of the community engagement events
- sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- send it in writing at Oxley Creek Transformation, GPO BOX 1434, Brisbane Qld 4001
Under the proposed Archerfield Wetlands Concept Plan, the project will deliver a new parkland with recreational facilities, community, educational, and commercial hub; picnicking facilities; elevated walkways and outlooks;, and Facilities for the Oxley Creek Catchment Association..
Archerfield Wetlands Parkland
The parkland will include an industrial-themed playspace; multipurpose facility for events and activities; an outdoor amphitheater; and a community, educational, and commercial hub.
The existing parks located at Gleneagles Crescent and Alban Street will be merged to form the new Creekside Park with features such as spaces for picnicking, boardwalks, walking trails, as well as a canoe and kayak launch facility.
Blunder and Hanleys Outlook
Blunder and Hanleys Outlook sits on the northern edge of the main wetland and its elevated topography will provide nature lovers, walkers, picnickers and birdwatchers expansive views across the wetlands.
Wetland recreational trails
Picturesque trails for adventurers, bird-spotters, and joggers punctuated by public artwork and interpretive cultural experiences along the journey.
Restoration and enhancement activities
Rehabilitation works on the land previously degraded by years of contamination will be progressively undertaken to reinstate the natural systems and enhance the capacity of the wetlands as water basin.
Community Engagement Events
The following are the scheduled events for the community consultation on the Precinct Plan:
- Information Kiosk at Oxley State School Fete – 11am-4pm on Saturday, 22 June 2019 at Oxley State School Ovals, Cnr of Colwel Street and Oxley Road, Oxley
- Information Kiosk at Blunder Road Shopping Centre – 9am-12am on Saturday, 6 July 2019 at Blunder Road Shopping Centre, 150 Blunder Road, Oxley
Incorporation of the feedback and release of the final Precinct Plan is set to be completed by late 2019.