Monkton House in Corinda Is Symbolic Of a Woman’s Great Work

Photo credit: Shiftchange/Wikimedia Commons

In Corinda, the Monkton Detached House is one of the few surviving examples of the work of early women-architects in the state, and one of only three in Brisbane.

The house is symbolic as it marks the entry of women into the local professions in Queensland, specifically in the architectural industry. It is designed by Elina Emily Mottram, also known as the first woman to build her own architectural practice in the state.

Located on Ardoyne Road, it was built in 1925 for William and Margaret Dunlop. The name comes after the Monkton Farm, the name of Mr. Dunlop’s parents’ farm on Oxley Road. The house was built as a wedding gift for the couple.

number works n' words Ad

The house depicts a “home” instead of just a house due to its comfortable ambiance. Historian Judith Mckay also described the details of the house as those which “only a woman can understand.” Such details include built-in joinery cabinets present throughout the house, cupboards, pantry/broom cupboard, wardrobe with storage cupboards and a cupboard in the parlor.

Ms Mottram also designed various houses in Brisbane such as a block of four flats in New Farm on Moray Street. Another one of the two remaining pieces of Mottram architecture that still stands today is the Scott Street Flats in Kangaroo Point.

Ms Mottram also designed public and civic buildings. She also became the first woman architect to work with the Queensland Railways for the design of the Eagle Junction railway station.

Tower Ad